Imagine a series of middle-grade novels that allow parents and teachers to explore the following questions in their classrooms:
- How does violence effect human behavior and psychology?
- How do stories reflect how people behave through fear, shame, power, strength?
- What is the nature of courage and leadership, and how does this bystander culture limit it
- How does bullying, intimidation and oppression, by individuals and in groups, effect human
- How doe adults relate to children, and how is this different from peer relationships, whether child to child, or adult to adult?
- How do young teens deal with the challenges, threats and violence they face on a daily or regular basis?
Well imagination is no longer necessary! These themes and more are developed through the stories and characters of A Warrior’s Soul and Renegade. Honestly, I didn’t realize how thorough these themes were, and how well they mapped over to newly established Common Core literary standards, until I went through the exercise myself.
These maps are for 7th grade common core literary standards. I am working on 5th, 6th and 8th grade maps as well.
Like what your read? We'll make it easy for you to share....