Unsafe On Any Campus? College Sexual Assault and What We Can Do About It
By Samuel R. Staley, Ph.D.
Foreward by Ruth Krug
Unsafe On Any Campus? is an unsparing and unflinching look into the reality of today’s campus life and why it puts students at risk for sexual assault and rape each year.
Sam Staley examines in depth why current strategies that rely on the U.S. court system to achieve justice fall short of achieving meaningful resolution, tapping into the personal stories of rape survivors, recent academic research, and his experience as a self-defense coach to frame a bold strategy for dealing with this ongoing scourge. His conclusions challenge the conventional wisdom of advocates, campus rape deniers, and many in the law enforcement community. Long-term success, he contends, requires a comprehensive plan that builds a trauma-centered framework on four pillars—human dignity, personal and bystander empowerment, accountability for offenders, and a narrow and more effective role for the criminal justice system. This book is essential reading for anyone interested in understanding the problem of sexual assault on today’s university and college campuses.
- How many students are sexually assaulted each year on today’s college campuses?
- Are today’s students victims of a sexually permissive culture, sexual predators, rampant misogyny among fraternities, and insensitive college bureaucracies?
- What anti-sexual assault programs really work?
- What are the six questions every incoming freshman and parent should ask their university or college administration?
- What are the ten proactive steps parents can take to reduce the risk that their children will experience sexual assault and rape when they enter college?
“This book signals a turning point in addressing rape and sexual assault in college and university environments. It is innovative, practical, and empowering. How we address rape and sexual assault needs to change, and this book will take the reader through the process of understanding human sexuality, rape, trauma, and how we can help ground a new approach that will eliminate this scourge on campus life.”
Ruth Krug, campus rape survivor
Unsafe On Any Campus? is available from Southern Yellow Pine Publishing for $14.95. Orders of 5 copies or more receive a discount of 25%. Orders of 25 copies or more received a copy of 40%, and customers should contact the publisher directly.